Washington, D.C. - Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced today the Members of the U.S.-Mexico Interparliamentary Group for the 110th Congress, who were recently appointed by the Speaker.
'I am proud to announce that on Tuesday the House of Representatives passed H.R. 347, which recognizes the historic significance of the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo. This holiday commemorates the victory of the Mexican people at the Battle of Puebla in 1862,' said Speaker Pelosi. 'Today in the United States, it is also a celebration of the rich contributions that Mexican Americans, and all Hispanics, have made to our country.'
'In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I am pleased to announce Members of the U.S.-Mexico Interparliamentary Group for the 110th Congress. The expertise and leadership of these Members will be crucial to House Democrats' efforts to take our bi-national relationship in a new direction,' Pelosi said.
'I was pleased to meet yesterday with the President of the Mexican Senate, Manilo Fabio Beltrones, about upcoming discussions between our respective legislators. I am sure that the bilateral relationship will be well served by the depth of knowledge of the new Members of the U.S.-Mexico Interparliamentary Group as they work to increase opportunity and prosperity for people on both sides of the border,' said Speaker Pelosi.
The new U.S.-Mexico Interparliamentary Group members are:
- Congressman Ed Pastor of Arizona- Chair
- Congressman Linda Sanchez of California- Vice Chair
- Congressman Bob Filner of California
- Congressman Silvestre Reyes of Texas
- Congresswoman Hilda Solis of California
- Congressman Ciro Rodriguez of Texas
- Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona
- Congressman David Dreier of California
- Congressman Jerry Weller of Illinois
- Congressman Luis Fortuño of Puerto Rico
- Congressman Connie Mack of Florida
- Congressman Michael McCaul of Texas