The House will take up another bill as part of our 'Make it in America' initiative to increase American manufacturing and create new American jobs. When we Make It In America, we create jobs to lead the world economy. Our national manufacturing strategy creates the high-skill, high-wage jobs of the future--promoting American competitiveness, innovation, and exports.
The All-American Flag Act (H.R. 2853):
- Requires federal government agencies to purchase only flags that contain 100 percent American-made materials. (Currently, the government is only required to purchase flags made only of 50 percent U.S.-made materials.)
- By requiring the federal government to buy flags that are 100 percent American made, we can help U.S. businesses and make a critical statement about this national symbol of our patriotism.
- It's common sense that Americans' tax dollars should be used to purchase flags made in the USA.
President Obama has already signed three manufacturing-boosting bills into law. These new laws:
- close tax loopholes that encourage companies to ship jobs overseas
- make it cheaper for U.S. companies to obtain the materials they need to manufacture goods
- speed innovation by breaking the backlog of patents awaiting approval
The House has also passed Make It In America legislation:
- calling for a national strategy to strengthen our manufacturing base and create jobs
- helping U.S. clean energy technology firms sell their products here and around the world
- building job-training partnerships among businesses, unions and educators
- taking steps to combat the trade imbalance, to strengthen our economy and national security.