On March 1, 2007, Speaker Pelosi, Majority Leader Hoyer, and Juanita Millender-McDonald, Chairwoman of the Committee on House Administration wrote to Daniel Beard, Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), directing the 'greening' of Capitol Hill buildings. On April 19, 2007, Speaker Pelosi was joined by Majority Leader Steny Hoyer and Legislative Branch Appropriations Subcommittee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz in accepting a preliminary report by the CAO on efforts that would reduce the environmental impacts associated with the operations of the House building complex.
The recommendations in the CAO's preliminary report include:
- Operate the House in a Carbon Neutral Manner
- Shift to 100 percent Renewable Electric Power
- Aggressively Improve Energy Efficiency
- Adoption of Sustainable Business Practices
- Continued Leadership on Sustainability Issues
- Offsets to Ensure Carbon Neutral Operations