- Congressional Republicans threaten to take us back to the failed policies that created the economic crisis -- siding with the special interests: Wall Street banks, credit card companies, Big Oil, and insurance companies.
- These economic and fiscal policies created the Bush recession -- the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression , with job losses of nearly 800,000 a month -- and nearly doubled our national debt.
- Democrats in Congress will continue to take America in a New Direction - creating good American jobs, lowering taxes for the middle class and small businesses, and building a strong new foundation for the economy and for Main Street. We're getting results.
Las Vegas Sun (Nevada) - New solar manufacturing plant to create 300 jobs [DISTRICT MENTIONED: Shelley Berkley (NV-1) and Dina Titus (NV-3)]
A solar power company plans to build a manufacturing plant in the Las Vegas area, creating about 300 jobs in what officials say is an emerging industry for Nevada.
The company is also getting a $5.9 million tax credit as from the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act. [5/15/10]
Phoenix Business Journal (Arizona) - Banner gets $6.5M for Alzheimer's research [DISTRICT MENTIONED: Ed Pastor (AZ-4)]
Banner Alzheimer's Institute has received $6.5 million from the National Institutes of Health, a move that will create 130 jobs.
The grant is part of the $1 billion in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds awarded nationwide to create and sustain jobs, promote scientific advances and improve human health.
The project will create about 100 construction jobs and 34 permanent jobs at the Banner Alzheimer's Institute on the Good Samaritan campus in Phoenix.
“This is a lot about putting in infrastructure that not only improves human health and discoveries toward human health but leverages market position,” [Barry Broome, President and CEO of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council]. [5/17/10]
The Herald Review (Illinois) - Stimulus money to provide temporary employment to 250 [DISTRICTS MENTIONED: Phil Hare (IL-17), R-Timothy Johnson (IL-15): Voted NO on Recovery Act, and R-Aaron Schock (IL-18): Voted NO on Recovery Act]
Federal economic stimulus money will provide temporary positions to low-income parents and young adults this summer.
Put Illinois to Work, to be administered locally by Workforce Investment Solutions, can pay for up to 250 people to work earning $10 an hour a minimum of 30 hours a week in Macon and DeWitt counties. [5/18/10]
The Community Times (Illinois) - Over $13 Million Available to Local Governments
Governor Pat Quinn today announced the availability of $13.1 million in federal stimulus funds through the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant (EECBG) program to help local governments with populations under 35,000 implement energy efficiency and conservation efforts.
“The Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant program is a great example of how we're using our investments in the green industry to grow our economy and create jobs, while creating a more sustainable living environment,” said Governor Quinn. [5/17/10]
- Mt. Vernon Register News (Illinois) - District 80 receives stimulus funds
- The Arizona Republic - 2 institutions get $21.5 million for research space