- Congressional Republicans support Wall Street banks, credit card companies, Big Oil, and insurance companies - the special interests that benefited from George Bush's policies and created the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. A decade of Republican rule nearly doubled our national debt. Why would we go back?
- Democrats in Congress are fighting to help small businesses create jobs here at home. Democrats are taking America in a New Direction - creating good American jobs, providing the lowest taxes in 60 years for the middle class and small businesses, and closing tax loopholes that send jobs overseas.
WAVE NBC-3 (Kentucky) - Biden takes part in GE jobs announcement [DISTRICT MENTIONED: John Yarmuth (KY-3)]
Hundreds of jobs are on the way to Louisville. We've been telling you about GE's investment in its nearly 60-year-old Appliance Park operation. Monday, Vice President Joe Biden came to share in the excitement.
C-2 may not sound like much, but when you put it together, you get more than 800 new jobs coming to our area. It is one of three new energy-efficient appliance product lines that will be made in Louisville. Two of those lines are coming back to America after previously being produced abroad.
'The Recovery Act had a lot goals,' said Gov. Steve Beshear (D-KY), 'to create jobs, to stimulate long term economic growth, to invest in economic infrastructure, and to bring our use of energy into the 21st Century.'
'We're laying a new foundation,' said Mr. Biden. 'A new foundation for a new economy with investments like the one we're highlighting here today. They not only create jobs today, but jobs in the future and more importantly, industries of the future.' [6/28/10]
The Baltimore Sun (Maryland) - Stimulus funds to go toward Balt. Co. office, hotel projects [DISTRICTS MENTIONED: Frank Kratovil (MD-1), C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger (MD-2), John Sarbanes (MD-3), Elijah Cummings (MD-7)]
Two development projects in Baltimore County, including an office building in Towson and a hotel in Owings Mills, will make use of $26 million in federal stimulus financing, county economic development officials said Monday.
Developer Towson City Center LLC plans to use up to $16 million in federal Recovery Zone Facility Bonds to redevelop a vacant, 12-story building overlooking Towson Circle into 155,000 square feet of offices and shops, a $27 million project that will create 500 permanent jobs. [6/28/10]
The Indianapolis Star - Federal Building set to get a green makeover [DISTRICT MENTIONED: Andre Carson (IN-7)]
A 105-year-old Downtown landmark is undergoing a 21st-century renovation funded by federal stimulus money.
Work aimed at improving energy efficiency of the Birch Bayh Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse began in January and is scheduled to continue until August 2012.
The project currently employs 90 workers, and up to 150 will be needed by the end of the year, the GSA says.
'It means a lot,' said Steve Schipp, project manager for Ryan Fireprotection Inc. 'We're going to have guys working on this for 21/2 years.' [6/29/10]
The News-Gazette (Illinois) - Grant of almost $1 million will establish weatherization training center at UI [DISTRICT MENTIONED: R-Timothy Johnson (Il-15): Voted NO on Recovery Act]
The University of Illinois will receive a nearly $1 million stimulus grant to help low-income residents save money and the environment by improving their homes' energy efficiency.
The $959,635 grant to establish one of the state's first weatherization training centers could provide local jobs, as well as training for those jobs.
The federal American Recovery and Reinvestment Act grant will support a training center on the Urbana campus for the Illinois Home Weatherization Assistance Program. [6/29/10]
- Dayton Business Journal (Ohio) - Ohio to give out $10M in stimulus for waste-to-energy projects
- Philadelphia Business Journal (Pennsylvania) - Chestnut Hill College gets $250K in stimulus for energy management
- The Journal (West Virginia) - Almost $500,000 in stimulus funding will provide for on-the-job training opportunities