- Vice President Biden and Energy Secretary Chu announced the release of $8 billion for state and local weatherization and energy efficiency programs included in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
- President Obama and Vice President Biden hosted a conference for state officials about the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
IN OTHER NEWS
The State (SC) - Sanford rejects federal funding, S.C. lawmakers will bypass him, accept disputed money
…The governor said he will not accept $700 million in federal aid for state budgets unless South Carolina can use the money to pay off retirement, health care costs and other debts -- making him the nations' first governor to specifically reject portions of the federal aid.
Sanford's announcement came the same day as new unemployment data showed the state with the nation's second-highest jobless rate, at 10.4 percent… [3/12/09]
Arizona Republic - Gordon touts projects, jobs aided by stimulus
With his city mired in the economic recession, Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon conveyed a message of hope during his State of the City address Wednesday, saying more than $100 million from the federal stimulus package has begun to flow to city projects and to help create jobs… [3/12/09]
Philadelphia Inquirer: Education stimulus spending outlined
Under Gov. Rendell's proposal for spending federal education stimulus money, Philadelphia schools would stand to get $361 million in additional funding next school year, and suburban districts would get a total of $88 million in new funding…
About a third of that money would go directly to a handful of programs targeted to low-income students and special education…[3/12/09]
- NSB Observer (FL) - Local Systems Start to See Stimulus
- Wilkes-Barre Times Leader (PA) - Stimulus aids law enforcement
- AP - Guv to use stimulus windfall to avoid new state taxes
- Times Union (NY) - Aid offers budget relief
- WCBI (MS) - Law Enforcement Find Uses For Money
- Butler Eagle (PA) - Police funds on tap: Stimulus cash is a surprise