Big Little Lies: The White House Saga Continues
News broke this morning that the Trump campaign had 18 undisclosed contacts with Russian officials, directly contradicting President Trump’s claims for months that he nor ‘nobody that I know of’ had connections with the Russians and Vice President Pence’s denial, calling it a ‘distraction’ to delegitimatize the presidency.
This is just the latest example of how the White House has been spinning the American people on their alternative facts – on issues of great consequence to the most small, trivial and truly absurd things. Their outrageous track record of deceit, fabrications and contradictions has amounted to a massive credibility issue for President Trump and his White House.
Check out more of their greatest hits:
- TRUMP TWEETS OBAMA WIRETAPPED HIM – On March 4, Trump tweeted that President Obama wiretapped him. White House Officials Sean Spicer and Sarah Huckabee Sanders took to the podium in Trump’s defense, double downing on the unsubstantiated claim for weeks. It wasn’t until a chorus of officials refuting it – from former Director of National Intelligence James Capper, former FBI Director James Comey, and even Speaker Ryan – deafened the claim.
- WHITE HOUSE ACCUSED GREAT BRITIAN WIRETAPPED TRUMP AT BEHEST OF OBAMA – While trying to defend Trump’s ridiculous wiretap claims, Press Secretary Sean Spicer accused the British government, a longtime U.S. ally, of colluding with President Obama to spy on Trump. Great Britain’s intelligence agency (GCHQ), furious about the false claim, quickly laid down the truth and ask the White House for an apology.
- WHITE HOUSE SAYS RUSSIA NOT PART OF COMEY OUSTING – In damage control after Trump abruptly fired Comey, the White House immediately pointed the finger at Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein as the source of the recommendation and stated that the firing was unrelated to the Russia investigation. Even Vice President Pence got in on the action stating at least seven times that it was Rosenstein’s fault. But a few hours later, Trump admitted to NBC’s Lester Holt that HE decided to fire Comey because of ‘this Russia thing.’ This raised all kinds of alarm bells about potential abuse of power and interference in an ongoing criminal investigation.
- WHITE HOUSE DENIES THAT TRUMP RELEASED HIGHLY CLASSIFIED INFO TO RUSSIANS – Trump surrogates from National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster to Deputy National Security Advisor Dina Powell claimed news reports about Trump releasing highly classified information to a foreign adversary – the Russians – was false. The very next morning, Trump confirmed on twitter that the allegations were true, and he had the ‘absolute right’ to do it.
- WHITE HOUSE LIES ABOUT SIZE OF THE INAUGURATION CROWD – Press Secretary Sean Spicer claimed the inauguration had the “the largest audience ever to witness an inauguration, period, both in person and around the globe” which was immediately shot down by the National Park Service and the internet (i.e. see the side-by-side photos).
The Trump Administration’s relationship with the truth has gone from strained to nonexistent to completely hostile. Now they expect the American people to believe that President Trump’s firing of Director Comey wasn’t related to the FBI investigation into Flynn’s Russia ties?!
Enough with the alternative facts, the spin and inconsistency. It’s time for the President and White House officials live up to the dignity of the office – and play it straight with the American people. We deserve the truth.