Pelosi, Clyburn Announce Members of House Democrats’ Democratic Outreach & Engagement Task Force
Washington, D.C. – Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Assistant Democratic Leader James Clyburn (D-SC) announced today the Members of House Democrats’ Democratic Outreach & Engagement Task Force, which will be chaired by Clyburn. The task force will drive new efforts to increase voter participation in the political process 50 years after the enactment of the Voting Rights Act.
“As we mark the 50th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act – one of the most important and consequential pieces of legislation in our nation’s history – we must continue to inspire the engagement of every American in our elections,” said Leader Pelosi. “With the bold and visionary leadership of Assistant Democratic Leader James Clyburn, the Democratic Outreach & Engagement Task Force will work to reawaken our communities to the power of the vote to destroy injustice, create opportunity and sustain our democracy.”
“By laying out the high stakes and momentous impact of the political process, using the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the ‘1965 Voting Rights Act’ as a compelling example of the importance of civic engagement, we hope to inspire Americans from all walks of life to become more engaged. We also hope they will come to realize and appreciate how Democratic policies would improve their families’ lives and their children’s futures,” said Assistant Leader Clyburn.
The following Democratic Members will serve on the Democratic Outreach & Engagement Task Force:
- Assistant Democratic Leader James Clyburn (D-SC), Chair
- Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA)
- Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez (D-NY)
- Congresswoman Barbara Lee (D-CA)
- Congressman André Carson (D-IN)
- Congressman Cedric Richmond (D-LA)
- Congressman Matt Cartwright (D-PA)
- Congressman Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY)
- Congresswoman Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM)
- Congresswoman Grace Meng (D-NY)
- Congressman Brendan Boyle (D-PA)