- The Department of Health and Human Services announced the release of $5 billion in emergency funding for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program included in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
- The Treasury Department has also issued guidance to State and local governments on the Build America and school construction bonds in the Act, including state allocations of the school construction bonds.
WKOW Channel 27 - Wis. VA facilities to receive $25 million
Wisconsin will receive more than $25 million in funding from the economic stimulus to upgrade and renovate veterans facilities in the state… [4/3/09]
Birmingham News (Alabama) - Alabama MPO to pick 14 transportation projects for immediate construction with stimulus money
Alabama's road contractors are hungry for state and local officials to give the green light to more than $107 million in transportation projects next week. They say the federal stimulus-fueled work could allow them to put more than 1,000 laid-off workers back on the job.
“A lot of people in this business lost their jobs, about 12,000 jobs statewide,” said Tim Mullendore, president of APAC MidSouth, a Birmingham-based paving company. “The stimulus money is a welcomed injection into our industry. It will create some jobs but, more important, it will save jobs. We expect it to create a 10-12 percent increase in the work force.” … [4/3/09]
WVLT Channel 8 (Tennessee) - Stimulus money funds new jobs
The U.S. Department of Energy plans to power up more than 1,500 new jobs in Oak Ridge. The jobs come after the DOE announced oak ridge added $755 million dollars for environmental clean-up projects.
DOE officials say the projects will require construction-type jobs as well as high technical skilled workers for handling handling hazardous waste materials… [4/3/09]
Rio Grande Sun (New Mexico) - Will Stimulus Money Bring Faster Internet?
Local agencies and utility companies are teaming up to compete for federal stimulus funding to build a high-speed Internet pipeline that would serve Northern New Mexico…
“The idea is to build a public-access fiber-optic cable network that we could then lease to the private sector in the region,” said Elmer Salazar, chair of the Greater Española Valley Community Development Corporation, which is helping develop the regional plan. “They could then distribute commercial and residential service to people's doorsteps. We're having lots of meetings to make sure the left hand knows what the right hand is doing and coordinate everything at all the right levels.”… [4/2/09]
WPBF Channel 25 (Florida) - Martin County Bridge Project Gets Federal Stimulus Money
A bridge project that has been in the planning stages for decades is now one giant step closer to reality…
“It will create over 3,500 jobs at all levels from manual labor to technical experts in construction and engineering for three years,” said Commission Chair Susan Valliere. “It couldn't have come at a better time.”… [4/2/09]
Associated Press - Qualifying veterans in line for $250 payment as VA announces stimulus spending
The Veterans Affairs Department said Thursday it will issue a one-time payment of $250 to qualifying veterans as part of its stimulus spending… [4/3/09]
- Alameda Times-Star (CA) - Stimulus money begins flowing into Alameda County
- WWMT Channel 3 (MI) - Stimulus money to create jobs in Van Buren County
- Times Journal (AL) - Stimulus will protect teachers in DeKalb
- WBNS Channel 10 (OH) - Stimulus Money Gives Seniors Job Opportunities
- WKBT Channel 8 (WI) - Tomah VA Gets Stimulus Money for Facility Upgrades
- WILX (MI) - Mid-Michigan Schools To Get Millions
- Florida Today (FL) - Editorial - Our views: Accept the money
- WILX (MI) - Schauer announces Recovery Act Funding for Jackson, Eaton County Schools
- Coldwater Daily Reporter (MI) - Area schools get $2.2M in stimulus cash