Pelosi Announces Steering and Policy Committee Co-Chairs, Members
Washington, D.C. – Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi announced today that she will nominate Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut and Congresswoman Donna Edwards of Maryland to serve as the co-chairs of the Democratic Steering and Policy Committee for the 114th Congress.
“The leaders and members of the Steering Committee embody the diversity, dynamism and creativity of all House Democrats, and represent some of the foremost minds in our Caucus in the essential work of creating jobs, jumpstarting the middle class, and reigniting the American Dream,” Leader Pelosi said. “With Congresswoman DeLauro and Congresswoman Edwards leading the way, this committee will serve to drive our efforts to confront the challenges facing workers, women, students and middle class families today.”
In recognition of the energy and ideas of the incoming freshman class, Leader Pelosi added an additional Freshman Representative position to the Steering Committee, and asked the new members to elect their representatives. The Freshman class selected Donald Norcross of New Jersey and Stacey Plaskett of the Virgin Islands.
“Our new members represent the future of our Caucus,” said Leader Pelosi. “With an additional freshman representative on the Steering Committee, their perspective will have a strong voice in the direction of our Caucus.”
The following will be members of the Steering and Policy Committee for the 114th Congress:
- Co-Chairs: Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut and Donna Edwards of Maryland (pending approval by the Steering and Policy Committee)
- Regionally Elected Members: Susan Davis of California, Barbara Lee of California, Gwen Moore of Wisconsin, Congressman André Carson of Indiana, Peter DeFazio of Oregon, Henry Cuellar of Texas, Cedric Richmond of Louisiana, Lois Frankel of Florida, John Carney of Delaware, Michael Doyle of Pennsylvania, Yvette Clarke of New York, and Michael Capuano of Massachusetts.
- Appointed Members: Judy Chu of California, Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, Hakeem Jeffries of New York, Marcy Kaptur of Ohio, John Larson of Connecticut, Carolyn Maloney of New York, Betty McCollum of Minnesota, Donald Norcross of New Jersey, Frank Pallone of New Jersey, Tim Ryan of Ohio, Terri Sewell of Alabama, Eric Swalwell of California, Mike Thompson of California, Nydia Velazquez of New York.
The Steering Committee also includes other key members of congressional leadership:
- Caucus Leadership: Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer, Assistant Democratic Leader James Clyburn, Democratic Caucus Chair Xavier Becerra, Democratic Caucus Vice Chair Joseph Crowley, Policy and Communications Chair Steve Israel, DCCC Chair Ben Ray Lujan, and Organization, Study and Review Chair, Karen Bass.
- Chief Deputy Whips: Senior Chief Deputy Whip John Lewis; Chief Deputy Whips G.K. Butterfield of North Carolina, Diana DeGette of Colorado, Keith Ellison of Minnesota, Jan Schakowsky of Illinois, Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, Peter Welch of Vermont.
- Freshman Representatives: Donald Norcross of New Jersey, Stacey Plaskett of the Virgin Islands.
- Committee Ranking Members: The Ranking Members of Appropriations, Budget, Energy and Commerce, Financial Services, Rules, and Ways and Means committees will also serve on the Steering Committee after they are approved by the caucus.